Traveling With a Permesso di Soggiorno Receipt

Bend, Oregon. Italy has some beautiful natural sights, but there really just is no place like home.

As a child, I remember how agonizing the wait for Christmas was, counting down the days until Santa delivered the trivial things on my wish list like velvet socks or a charm bracelet. Now, as an adult, I look forward to less amusing things like Italy sale season or my permesso di soggiorno card. If you are looking to make travel plans outside of Italy, but haven’t yet received your card then never fear, your guide to traveling with a permesso di soggiorno receipt is here!

There are two main scenarios here. Either you are traveling inside the Schengen Zone or going outside of it. If you already have your permesso di soggiorno card, then you are free to travel where you want without restrictions on layovers in Europe, assuming that you are from a country that allows you to travel in Europe for up to 90 days without a visa. This website has list of which countries need visas for Europe.

What is the Schengen Zone, you might ask? It’s an area made up of 26 European countries that has gotten rid of passport checks. This agreement between countries allows people to easily travel between many European countries without needing a visa or other complicated government documents. Foreigners, however, must abide by the 90 day visa-free rules. After 90 days inside of the Schengen Zone, you must remain outside of it for another 90 days before being allowed reentry.

Traveling Inside of the Schengen Zone

If you are traveling inside the Schengen Zone, things are not too different from actually having your permesso di soggiorno card. While you may not be asked for your passport or other personal documents, except your ID, when catching a plane inside the Schengen Zone, it’s important that you have your permesso di soggiorno receipt on you at all times in case you are stopped by the police in the country you’re in for whatever reason. This receipt proves that you are a resident of Italy and have the ability to leave the country, after 90 days, without a visa.

As a non-EU citizen with a permesso di soggiorno receipt, you may travel for 90 days before you are required to return to Italy (only if you’re from a country that doesn’t require visas for short-term travel in Europe. Check out the link I posted above, if you aren’t sure about your country).

Traveling Outside of the Schengen Zone

This is your key to travel success without your permesso di soggiorno card.

According to the Polizia di Stato website, foreigners are allowed to leave and enter Italy with a permesso di soggiorno receipt as long as they do four things:

  • Carry their receipt;
  • Bring their expired permesso di soggiorno card;
  • Carry their valid passport;
  • Leave and enter the Schengen Zone through Italy.

This means that you may not travel through other countries in the Schengen Zone. While flights without stops in Europe can be a bit more expensive and difficult to find, I have been successful in the past. Just make sure you book your tickets ahead of time for the best prices.

    Have I helped you in any way?

    BMC logoWant to buy me a coffee?

What to do if Your Permesso di Soggiorno Isn’t Ready and Your Flight Leaves in The Next Couple of Weeks

There is a document called a Permesso di Soggiorno Provvisorio that you can apply for if your permesso di soggiorno card isn’t ready yet. You can apply at your local Questura with the following documents in hand:

  • Your expired permesso di soggiorno card
  • The receipt for your new permesso di soggiorno
  • A valid passport
  • A letter stating your necessity for traveling outside of Italy (plane tickets will most likely satisfy this requirement*)
  • 4 photographs
  • a marca da bollo

There is a copy of the Permesso di Soggiorno Provvisorio form here. While your local Questura may require a different document, you can use that one as a guide.

This provisional permesso di soggiorno allows you to stop over in other European countries while entering or leaving Italy.

*I say most likely because, in Italy, each government office in each city does things differently and may have different requirements.

Disclaimer: This post does not constitute legal advice. The materials on this website have been prepared by Expat Alexa and are intended to communicate general information only. Please contact a lawyer for legal advice.


  1. thankyou for your guidence. i have a question that i am new in italy and i am student here and i have applied for permesso di soggiorno for the very 1st time. so can i travel to my country on the behalf of recipt or not?

    • Hi Saif! You can always travel to your country, the problem is returning to Italy. I’m not sure what country you are from, but if your country is in the Schengen Zone, then you will have no problem returning to Italy. I’m going to assume your country is outside of the Schengen Zone. If it is, then you will need to wait until you receive your permesso di soggiorno card because you may encounter problems when trying to get back into Italy. However, if you are traveling direct from Italy to your country, and directly back to Italy, then you can travel with the receipt. If you need to go to your country and have to travel through another country that isn’t Italy, you can apply for a Permesso di Soggiorno Provvisorio at the Questura.

      • Hello. Thank you for your post. I want to ask. Im also waiting for my very first permesso meeting and have the postal receipt.

        Is it possible to get a permesso provvisorlo even if i’m at my very first application rather than a renewal?

        thank you

        • Hi Kim! That is a really good question and, unfortunately, I don’t know the answer 100%. Most of what I am reading says that you are required to submit a copy of your expired permesso, but it’s best to contact the Questura where you are as the rules can differ from city to city. If you have been in Italy less than 90 days then you are free to travel outside of the Schengen Zone anyway because you are still within the limit of the tourist visa, but I don’t know your specific situation.

      • Hello.. I’m refugee in Italy, i have “permesso di soggiorno per stranieri” for 6 months, the asylum court has done, and granted residence for 5 years, but is still pending in the mail due to the holiday period, now i just have “permesso di soggiorno per stranieri”, can i travel with this document to France?

        • Hi Kinan! I’m not very familiar with this type of permesso di soggiorno. I would recommend contacting or going to your local ACLI if you are in Italy. They are very knowledgeable about Italian bureaucratic processes and should be able to answer your question.

          • Hi Expat Alexa,
            I have bad situation.
            I applied for residence permit on 23 Sept 2019 and I left italy the next day 24 Sept 2019. I am in my country untill today and its been more than two months since I last left italy.
            I want to travel back, I have expired residence permit and receivuta.
            Will there be any problem?
            Kindly let me know, i will be very thankful to you.
            PS: I could not travel because I had some emergency situation.

      • Hi Alexa, I am American and I have a visa for elective residency in Italy (I am retired). I entered Italy almost 90 days ago and will have my questura appointment for the Permesso in 2 weeks. I would like to travel to Budapest from Rome in a month and I know my Permesso card won’t be ready to pick up by then. Since 90 days tourist period will have gone by, am I still covered by bringing my US passport with the long-term visa in it and the postal receipt for the Permesso? The Questura website does not mention people with elective residency visas when discussing leaving the country with a Permesso receipt. Thanks so much!

      • Hi , I want to ask you that I applied for my babies first permesso and he is born in Italy , can I travel with him to my home country (outside shengan zone) on basis of receipt and bring him back too ?

  2. Dear sir or madam 

    My sister is from Kabul Afghanistan and she got 5 years of Italy permessi di soggiorno with Afghani passport so my question is can she travel to Graz Austria with  her permessi di soggiorno and afghani passport? please

  3. Thank you for sharing your useful information.
    I still have a question that you may help me; I want to leave Italy for a period of 4 to 5 months to do my thesis abroad (in Canada-not my own country). As I am not an EU-citizen and now I have the renewing receipt with my old PDS, I would like to ask you about my condition. Shall I have problem when I want to come back to the Italy from Canada with the old PDS and the renewing receipt, or not?
    Thank you for your time.

    • Hi Fabio! If you fly directly from Italy to Canada and straight back to Italy then you shouldn’t have a problem. You might have a problem if you pass through any other countries in the Schengen Zone that don’t know what a permesso di soggiorno is. If you need to travel through other countries in the Schegen Zone, you’ll need to get a permesso di soggiorno provvisorio.

    • Hi MJ! If you are traveling to other countries in the Schengen Zone and have already applied for your permesso di soggiorno (and have the receipt), then you don’t need a permesso di soggiorno provvisorio. There are generally no passport checks between countries in the Schengen Zone unless they are done randomly by the police in that country. Just make sure you have your permesso di soggiorno receipt and a valid passport with you when you leave Italy and return to Italy before 90 days is up!

  4. Hey #Alexa I would like to travel in Malta as a tourist. My permesso di soggiorno has been expired & I have the ricivuta from italian post office with my expired permesso di soggiorno & also the passport. Now my question is may I travel with that?hope to hear from you soon.

      • Hello! I’m planning on travelling to sweden from Italy in fall but i only have my residence permit receipt from the post office, I’m quite confused about one of the requirements that says “Leave and enter the Schengen Zone through Italy.” Will it cause problem that i bought plane tickets from italy to copenhagen and take the train to sweden? Whenever i go to sweden there’s always a border control at Malmö and I’m worried it might cause problem that I didn’t take a direct flight to sweden. Thanks in advance! Waiting for your reply! 🙂

  5. Hey Mam
    I would like to travel in Malta with my postal ricivuta .my permesso di soggiorno has been expired & I already been applied for the new one .but for me it’s really important to go Malta .may I go or not ?please let me know.hope to hear from you soon. Thanks

  6. Hi! My parents have applied for the first time for their PDS. We would like to travel to Spain. Is it possible for them to travel with just the PDS receipt from the post? It has been two months since they applied, however we haven’t received any info regarding their PDS card. Thank you in advance!

    • Hi Astrid! Yes, you can travel to Spain with the receipt. Just make sure they bring their passports as well. Also, make sure you return to Italy before 90 days is up. It took me 3-4 months to get my card so there’s a good chance they’ll have to wait a bit longer until they are ready.

      • Thank you. Anyone you personally know who tried traveling to Schengen with just the receipt? We’ll be traveling by plane and I’m afraid to be denied boarding. I’ve heard mixed comments that the receipt only allows one to fly back to home country. I tried asking our questura for provvisorio and they can’t.

        • Most everyone travels around the Schengen Zone with only a receipt. I went to Germany last year for Christmas and I only had the receipt. There aren’t passport checks when traveling between countries in the Schengen Zone so they won’t ask ask to see a visa. The only issue is when you have to travel outside of the Schegen Zone. That’s where you might have heard about only being able to travel to your home country. If you’re traveling outside of the Schengen Zone to your home country and only have the receipt, you can only travel directly from Italy to the country and back.

          • Did you travel by plane? Or probably they didn’t check because you have a US passport? (which allows you to travel within EU without any visa?

        • Yes, I took a plane. Americans cannot travel in the EU without a visa if they are staying for more than 90 days. Many people fly all around Europe with their permesso di soggiorno receipts. Again, there is only a problem if you travel outside of the Schengen Zone.

  7. Hi Alex,
    Thanks for your useful information.
    Please I have a big problem not familiar with the ones you’ve proffered solutions to. I finished my Masters in December 2017 and I got a job afterwards. I applied to the questura for work permit before the expiration of my student permit but, after a month of my fingerprinting, the questura asked me to present a nulla osta. I then applied for the nulla osta in February two months after the expiration of my student permit at the perffura but I was denied the nulla osta, reason been that my soggiorno expired before requesting for the nulla osta despite showing them my renewal receipt from the post office. But during this period of waiting for the nulla osta, I enrolled for another masters program, do you think the questura will grant me another student permit despite having a pending request for work permit?

    • Hi Christian! Your situation is a bit technical and I’m not sure I would be able to give you advice confidently. If you enroll in a new program, then I would assume that they would have to give you another student visa. At the end of your program you could then try the apply for the work permesso again, this time presenting the nulla osta. I would recommend contacting or going to your local ACLI if you are in Italy. They are very knowledgeable and know a lot about the bureaucratic processes in each city.

  8. Hi friends,
    I’m a student from Vietnam and I’m currently living in Italy. I don’t know if I can travel to Paris with my valid Student Visa (type D, multi-entry) and receipt of Italian stay permit because I’m waiting for receiving stay permit.

      • Hi Alexa !! I would like to thank you first for the good job you are doing, my question is i have humanitarian permesso di soggiorno and i would like to travel to Africa in this new law can u travel to Africa and get back to italy without no problem? Because the new law cancelled humanitarian permesso di soggiorno.

  9. Hi, I have a question.
    I’m a foreign student here in Italy and this is my first Permesso di Soggiorno application (no renewal).
    I have my Ricevuta and valid Passport (mult. entry), I’m planning for the holidays to go to Germany for two weeks then come back to Italy, would that be a problem?

    • Hi Esteban! You can travel to Germany, no problem! I went there last year for Christmas and they never checked my documents. Always bring them, just in case, but there are generally no passport checks between countries in the Schengen Zone. Regardless, with a permesso di soggiorno receipt, you are able to travel to any European country in the Schegen Zone, which Germany is a part of.

      • Hi Alexa, I am a student in Italy and for some reasons my permesso di soggiorno was delayed for the whole of 2018 and not out. I asked the questura if I can travel to Nigeria and they said yes. I travelled and stayed long from November to March. Can I still come back with the receipt?

  10. Great insight! Thank you

    I was informed that someone with. Student (Schengen) Visa is able to travel within the Schengen area except in Spain. Do you know why?
    Also if the visa has expired but you are in the process of renewing and with a receipt, can you travel with that receipt and expired visa within the Schengen Zone?

    • Thank you, Winnie! I am not aware of any restrictions that prevent travel to Spain with a student visa. I’m not finding any info about it online either. By visa, do you mean permesso di soggiorno? If your visa is expired, but you have renewed your permesso and have the receipt, then you can travel in the Schengen Zone.

    • Hi Ruth! Unfortunately, you cannot renew your permesso if it has been that long. Usually, if you don’t renew after 60 days past the expiration date, you aren’t able to renew it at all. You’ll have to apply for another visa and get a new permesso di soggiorno.

  11. i have pakistani passport but i live in italy .i have life time residence permitt from italy .its call permesso di soggiorno. can i travel for visit ukraine with this permesso di soggiorno

    • Hi Justice! The permesso di soggiorno is a document that only applies to Schengen Zone, which is made up of only European countries. If you want to travel to a different continent, like Africa, you will have to see what the visa requirements are based on your country of origin.

      If you’re talking about issues related to returning to Italy after going to Ghana, then you shouldn’t have any problems, as long as you fly directly from Italy to Ghana and back to Italy.

  12. HI Alexa!

    I have a PDS familiare and I am in Budapest as of this writing. So I entered Budapest dec 10 and returned to Roma on Jan 31st, and then re-entered to Budapest after 5 days.

    As I wanted to stay in Budapest for a longer period, my question is, Am I allowed to stay outside Italy in a Span of 3 Months every time I fly outside the country or the 90 out of 180 days apply? because if I count 90 days from dec 10, that is March 10th or something. But since I went back to ITaly January 31st, I want to know if the 90 rule refreshes and started when I came back to Budapest on February 6th.

    I hope my question made sense.

    • Hi Maxim! The 90 day rule doesn’t refresh every time you come back to Italy, it refreshes after a 180-day period outside of the Schengen Zone (or in Italy, if you have a permesso di soggiorno), or at least that’s my understanding. If you’re in Budapest now, then you can only stay 90 days past December 10th before you have to come back to Italy. Then you would have to wait another 90 days before leaving Italy again.

  13. Hi ALexa, I had submitted my docs to renew my permesso since September 2018, it has been 6 months now and I didn’t receive a txt, I also check the online status every week and still under process, I am in Trento, is it normal that it takes that long?? Also does it differ from a Questura to another ?have you peronally heard of anyone renewing or applying for permesso in Trento lr bolanzo?

    • Hi Ally! Yes, it’s common for the wait times to be long. I think the longest I have waited is 5 months, but I’ve heard it can be much longer in other cities. I don’t know anyone personally who has applied for a permesso in Trento or Bolzano, sorry. If you are feeling concerned about it, I’m sure you can go to the Questura and ask. They aren’t usually very good about responding to emails or answering the phone.

    • Hi! It’s difficult to answer your question without knowing more information, but if your permesso di soggiorno is expired, then you probably won’t be able to return to Italy unless you have a renewal receipt or an Italian visa.

  14. Hello, I am from Pakistan and I have 1 year permesso di soggiorno (expired) and I came to my country with ricevuta and expired permesso di soggiorno. And I have already 70 days here. After 10 days is my flight to Italy. It’s mean totally 80 days out of Italy. My question is that, can I go back to Italy without ask a reentry visa from Italian embassy or no? I will wait for your reply. Thanks

    • Hi! You should be able to return to Italy with the expired permesso and the renewal receipt. If you have these things, you don’t have to leave Italy for 90 days before returning. You only have to do that if you don’t have a visa or a permesso. Just make sure your flight is direct to Italy from Pakistan.

  15. I am an Indian. I have my valid Indian passport. Also have my old soggiorno card and the new soggiorno receipt after the fingerprint. Can I travel from Italy to Germany?

  16. I am an Indian. I have my valid Indian passport. Also I have my old soggiorno card and the renewal soggiorno receipt. Already done the fingerprint procedure too. Now I have two questions-
    * Can I travel from Italy to Germany now?
    *Can I cut off my residence as I already done the fingerprint & waiting for the card?

      • By mentioning ‘cut of my residence ‘ I mean to say ‘need to cancel my carta di residenza’.
        My impronta digitale (fingerprint) process was done a month ago in questura.
        * Now if I cancel my carta di residenza, will still I get my soggirno?
        Because the owner of our house wants to empty this house for his personal purpose.

        • It’s really hard for me to give solid advice on this because I don’t think there is a concrete answer. I would say that it probably won’t affect anything if you denounce your residency. People have to denounce their residency all the time when they move to different regions so it’s a normal thing to do. I don’t know 100%, but I doubt cancelling your residency would affect your permesso.

  17. I have my twin girls in Italy at the moment they applied for a working holiday visa for 12 months before they left. They went to the Questura in Brescia the first week they arrived who sent them to the Workers Union, they filled out paperwork got the stamps etc. and sent it off from the Post Office who gave them a three page receipt each. One of them has received a letter and been asked to go the Questura back in Brescia (along with her photos etc that she tried to give them the first time) and she is going next week. The other is still waiting to hear.

    They are booked on a tour in Greece in a month;’s time for 2 weeks. This will be just over 3 months since they arrived. They are planning to fly from Milano to Athens. Can they leave and return with their receipt from the post office or should they fill out and submit the new form as you have in your post above?

    They were then going to go to the UK for a trip after Greece, but if they are still waiting for the Permesso should they return to Italy instead?

    Its so difficult to get any valid information! Looking forward to your response!!

    • Hi Annette! I totally feel your pain! I really struggled to find information about so many bureaucratic things which is a main reason why I started this blog. The girls are free to travel throughout most of Europe (the Schengen Zone) with just their receipts. Just have them make sure they bring their passports with them of course.

      The UK is a tricky one because it’s not in the Schengen Zone. I don’t know your nationality, but you’ll have to look up the laws regarding going to the UK with the passports they have. The permesso di soggiorno gets you back into Italy, but it doesn’t get you into countries that aren’t part of the Schengen Zone.

      • I really appreciate that you can give me insight Alexa!

        We are Australian so they can go to the UK without visas. So they should be fine to fly out of Athens direct to London and stay a while before returning to Italy?

        Another couple of questions if you don’t mind?

        They have applied through offices at Brescia and the one that has received further instruction has to go to Brescia Questura to provide more information. When the Permesso finally arrives will they have to return to Brescia to collect it or can it be redirected to another Questura as they plan to visit other parts of Italy during their year stay?

        Are they classed as Italian residents for the term of their visa or still Australian – they have been asked that question by some accommodation booking sites and I’m also wondering about airports and Schengen/non-Schengen gates?

        I find it hard to believe that the embassy that provides the first step in the visa process and outlines what needs to be done on arrival could be so far off track to our actual experience!

        • They should be fine to go to the UK since it’s not related to their stay in Italy.

          I’m about 99.9% sure they’ll have to pick up their permessi in Brescia. Italian bureaucracy is incredibly inefficient and they don’t generally go out of their way to accommodate you.

          Italian residency is a completely separate thing from the visa. I have written a separate blog post about this as well.

          The thing about Italy is that procedures and documents change in virtually every city. It can definitely be difficult to figure out what you have to do!

          • Hello I have a permesso Di sorgonno for two years that’s humanitarian can I travel to Norway with it??

            Thanks wait for your reply

          • Thanks Alexa, your advice is invaluable! They have started the second step and it appears the Brescia Questura have started them on the process that a US citizen would undergo for a 2 year visa with a 3rd year option, not following their actual Australian visa which is different ( a one year working holiday visa with no language course etc requirements). We have had to contact the Australian Embassy in Rome, maybe they can sort it out! In the meantime, they are reorganising their schedule to return to Brescia in October for their civics course and investigating language courses etc!

  18. Hi Alexa,

    I am applying for my first Permesso di Soggiorno in late May but will be travelling around Croatia, Greece and then Turkey (not in the schengen!) from mid July. I’m assuming I won’t have my official card by mid July and only the receipt. Will it be a problem to travel to Turkey and get back into Italy? Should I fly from Turkey somewhere back to the schengen area and then into Italy?

    Many thanks

    • Hi, Olivia! The problem isn’t getting back into Italy because you have the permesso di soggiorno receipt which allows you to live in Italy legally, the problem is getting into Turkey with your permesso receipt. I don’t know your nationality, but I assume you have everything you need to travel to Turkey legally because your permesso di soggiorno won’t be enough most likely. Many people need visas to travel there. In general, if you are going outside of the Schengen Zone and only have your receipt, you’ll have to fly directly back to Italy, according to the Questura, to avoid any problems.

  19. Hi, saw this blog. I am going back to philippines which means i need to travel from milan > qatar (for a flight transfer) > philippines and vise versa. The thing is, my permesso di soggiorno is expired and will have my thumbmark on May 24. I am flying to Ph after May 24. Will i be able to get back here in italy if i travel back home(Ph)? Hoping for a reply!

    • Hi! I’m not sure I 100% understand your situation, but I’ll try to help. If you have your permesso di soggiorno receipt, then you can travel outside of Italy. Just make sure you have a direct flight, which it seems like you do not. I would try to contact your local questura and see if you can get a provisional permesso di soggiorno, which is mentioned in my post above.

    • Just replying to your most recent comment.

      I was afraid of that. I’ll update the post so that it includes more information for people from countries that don’t have agreements with the Schengen Zone. It’s so unfortunate that this information is so hard to find and that people end up getting rejected from flights and that’s how they find out. You’re right, when I travel by plane, no one checks my permesso, only my passport.

  20. Another question, when I check online the information varies, some said that whether one can use the receipt to travel within the Schengen area depends on your nationality. Can you help to clarify, as I am holding an Indonesian passport.

    • Austria is in the Schengen Zone so yes, you can travel there with your receipt. From what I’ve read, your nationality shouldn’t matter. Anyone who is not from a country in the Schengen Zone country needs a permesso di soggiorno. We also can only stay 90 days out of every 180 days without needing a visa. So the rules for traveling with a permesso should apply to everyone, regardless of nationality.

      The problem with this bureaucratic stuff is, like you mentioned, that it’s always so confusing and it seems like there are different opinions everywhere.

      • Hi, last time I got rejected from boarding the plane with the receipt of permesso di soggiorno. So, no, non EU citizens from countries that don’t have Schengen agreement can’t travel with the receipt. The only way is applying for the PDS provvisorio, as you mentioned.

          • One can travel if they have the ‘valid’ PDS card. Mine is already expired, and I have applied for the new one (thus I have the receipt with me). And, still, can’t travel with that. I went to the airport and was rejected from boarding. But those from countries with free entry to Schengen area (e.g. US, Australia, Canada, Mexico, etc), can travel with the receipt, even the staff won’t ask for PDS, just passport.

  21. Hi alexa, i want to know can i travel to uk with my italian postal receipt as i have my uk visa. My only concern is can i go back to italy from uk with my receipt?

  22. Hi
    I am pakistani and leaving in italy .i got reacently permesso di soggiorno casi speciali and after 1 month submit my file for converting my soggiorno into lavoro subbordinato .i have now my casi speciali soggiorno and posta receiptt and valid passport can you please tellme is that possible for me to travel to my home land in this situation .my casi speacili soggiorno valid for 10.10.2020 and i have also potsa receivuta .i am confused need your help

    • Hi! I think your situation is probably too specific for me to give you advice about confidently. The way I understand the laws, you can travel to your home country but you have to travel directly from Italy to Pakistan and back to Italy. You cannot stop in any other countries.

  23. Dear Alexa!

    Very informative post and blog in general.
    I am a Nepali national currently residing here in Italy (Brescia) for my PhD studies, and just defended my thesis this month. I want to apply for the UK visitor visa (tourism) but my Permesso di Soggiorno is expired right now and I have already applied for its renewal (fingerprint being on June 12, 019), so I just have the postal receipt (ricevuta) with me.
    Am I eligible to apply for the UK visitor visa first off and to travel? Secondly, in case if I am granted with the UK visa, can I travel back to Italy with the receipt I have? Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thanks in advance.


  24. Hi Manohar! Thank you for the kind words! I’m sorry, but I’m not familiar with UK visa laws. Regarding coming back to Italy, yes you can come back with your receipt. Just make sure you also bring your expired permesso di soggiorno card and passport.

  25. Hello Alexa! I’m not sure if my old comment was publish here but anyways I’m planning to permanently stay in my home country (Philippines) next month but I only have a PDS renewal receipt and also that I have to go back to questura on October 14. Can I travel to my country with a one way ticket (Naples-Istanbul-Manila) with only PDS receipt and old soggiorno card?

  26. I don’t quite understand. If you are going back permanently to the Philippines, then are you not going to your questura appointment in October? I’m not sure what the requirements are for visas and travel requirements for people from the Philippines, I’m sorry. It’s best to talk to someone at the Philippines consulate.

  27. I am married to Italian woman and we welcomed our first baby. I have been in Italy for a year now and I came with an entry visa c and I have applied for PDS I had to wait for 5 months to go in for Fingerprint and its 5 months now and nothing from them yet.. I want to go to Norway with my wife and baby but I don’t know if I will encounter any problems on the way and I will prefer US to use a train because I doubt I will be allowed on board to a flight I have my receipt with me though.. Will be happy to hear some suggestion

  28. Hi Alexa! Thank you for putting all the things together! It’s really helpful for me. You’ve already explained quite clearly but I’d like to make sure.

    I’ve been living here in Italy for 1 year and 6 months. My first PDS(Permesso di Soggiorno) and Italian student visa were expired in Jan, 2019 and regarding PDS, I am in the middle of renewal it.

    So, it is possible to travel directly to non-schengen country (eg. UK) (not stopover in schengen area) if I carry all the documents (+the receipt from Poste Italiane), right?

    And also it is possible to travel to other European countries (Germany, France, or other Schengen countries) if I carry all the documents (+the receipt).

    Did I understand correctly?

    Thank you so much 🙂

    • Thank you for the kind words! Traveling to non-schengen countries isn’t really related to your permesso. As long as you have the legal permission to go to a non-Schengen country, like the UK, you can go. The issue is coming back into the Schengen Zone when you get your passport and other documents checked. If you have your receipt and other documents, you can travel directly back to Italy from a non-Schengen country. If you want to stay in the Schengen zone and have your receipt and carry all of your other documents, you can travel around with no problems. So yes, I think you understood correctly! 🙂

  29. Hi i m pakistani my saggorno card 1 year befor expire i have new card apply my question is my recipet is one year old i have traveling in Pakistan this documents???

    • I’m not sure I understand your question. If you are Pakistani then yes, you can travel to Pakistan. If you have your permesso reciept, make sure you bring your expired card and passport, and only fly directly from Italy to Pakistan and back.

  30. Hey hi I’m a student in Milan i have a question my permesso is expired & I have the renewed receipt with that can I travel to India. My flight as layover in Dubai is it possible
    Milan – Dubai – chennai (India)
    Chennai (India) – Dubai – Milan

  31. Hi.. My permesso di soggorno is ready but I missed the withdrwl date and next date of collection will be after 15 days I can’t wait till date so can I request to qastora officials for new date earlier how to address this issue plz guide

    • Hi Rukhsana, I’m not sure. I think if you just go to the Questura and wait in line, you could get it without having an appointment. I think it also depends on the Questura and the person working. I would just try going there and see if they let you get it without making another appointment.

  32. Hii,
    This is Rishabh Bhartiya, recently I got my soggiorno di permesso but it would be valid till 24 September 2019. And I have to go to India on 1st October. Even I have booked my flight Milan to Zurich and Zurich to Milan, these are the connecting flights. My question is that can I go to India with soggiorno receipt and come back to Italy. Italian police website says, you have to leave from Italy for your country. Please let me know if you have any suggestions about it.

    • Hi Rishabh. Yes, you are correct. The Questura says you must leave directly from Italy and return to Italy without stopping in other Schengen Zone countries. You can always try and ask for a permesso di soggiorno provvisorio which would allow you to travel to other Schengen countries.

  33. Hi. I am living in italy and i want to travel to canada with tourist visa. I am having an Indian passport but problem is my permesso di soggiorno is submitted for renew can i travel to canada with the receipt of sohgiorno

  34. You can travel to Canada as long as you have the proper Canadian visa. If you only have your permesso receipt then you can’t stop in other Schengen Zone countries. You must leave the Schengen Zone from Italy and Italy has to be the first Schengen Zone country you arrive to. when you come back from Canada.

  35. Hi Alexa! Thank you so much for all the insights and putting them all together nicely, very helpful indeed. However, I would really appreciate if you could provide me with some further clarification in my case. I am an Indian passport holder currently working in Bologna with permesso di siggorno – “Carta Blue” as my residence card. It has been more than two months that I have applied for the renewal since it expired in May. So currently I have the receipt from the post, my passport and my old blue card. So now I have few questions:
    1. I need to travel to Germany my the end of this month so will I be able to travel with these documents considering the fact that with Indian passport I can not go to Germany without a visa? Do
    2. In August I have vacation planned in Dubai so if I have the valid visa to enter Dubai will it be an issue to make that trip?
    3. Do I in any cases need to apply for the so called provisional permesso di siggorno?

    It would be really helpful if you could Clarify these points for me

    • Hi Tanmay! I don’t want to risk giving you incorrect information as I’m not too familiar with travel restrictions for people with Indian passports and the added issue of having a permesso receipt. I would recommend either trying to get in contact with your local questura, which may be impossible, or going to the ACLI or other patronato in your town. They will be familiar with the laws and will be able to give you advice about what to do. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help!

  36. Hi I’m waiting for my residency permit but I’ll be traveling back home before my new residency permit comes out but I am transitioning through Doha. Will I be able to reenter Italy using the receipt and expired visa or do I need to apply for the permesso di soggiorno provvisorio?

    • Hi Kelly! Sorry for the late response. All of this really depends on your home country and the rules you have for traveling based on your nationality. On the questura website, it says if you only have your receipt then you can only travel from Italy directly to your home country and back. On your way back to Italy, it’s not recommended that you stop in any other European countries other than Italy.

  37. Hi ! Myself mohammed Iam going to my country India through transit flight in Turkish .the problem is that my permesso Di soggiorno is expired and I have receipt of renew permesso Di soggiorno. Any kind of problem will occur while going to my country..?
    This is only I want to know..thanks in advance

    • Hi Mohammed! Sorry for the late reply. Going to your country, no. Coming back to Italy, maybe. On the questura website, it says if you only have your receipt then you can only travel from Italy directly to your home country and back. On your way back to Italy, it’s not recommended that you stop in any other European countries other than Italy.

  38. Hi Alexa,
    Thank you for all your advices.
    I will start my studies at italy (I have a multiple entrances student visa for three months) this year, and I was wondering if I can arrive, stay two weeks and after leave europe for one week and come back. I will start doing my permiso di soggiorno as soon as I arrive, however I believe it wont be ready in two weeks.

    Also I would like to know why are you not allow to go to your country before you have the permiso.

    Thank you

    • Hi! All of this depends on where you are from as every country has different rules for how long you can stay in European countries without a visa. You’ll have to contact the Italian consulate in your country. If you’re from American or Canada, then you can travel to other European countries with just your receipt. I’m not sure I understand your second question, I apologize.

  39. Hi Alexa,
    Saw your article and it’s so useful, thank you!

    I would just like to clarify my situation if you can let me know I understand correctly or not 🙂
    I have a passport that doesn’t require a visa to travel in Europe for 3 months (included all Schengen area), and my old PDS+ the receipt for my appointment in October.
    I came back from my country like a week ago, so that being said, I can travel freely in the Schengen area with my passport (no visa needed for 90 days) until mid-November?
    Thank you 🙂

    • Hi Wei! Thank you! Yes, you can travel with just the receipt in the Schengen Zone. Just make sure you bring all of your documents with you just in case someone asks you for them (old PDS, receipt, passport, etc.) Sorry for the late response!

  40. Hello Alexa

    I am in Italy waiting for my permesso soggiorno after I have my interview and fingerprints. I was told I can go back to the California without permesso soggiorno taking a direct flight to the US from Milan. My question is: how long can I stay in California waiting for the text to pick up the permesso soggiorno? Is it 90 days even if I am a US citizen? Is there a website that says the number of days I can stay in the USA?

    Grazie mille.

    • Hi Vic! It all depends on where you are from. If you are American then you can stay in California for however long you want. As an American, there’s no limit for how long you can stay in the US. I’m not sure how long the questura will hold onto your permesso though once it’s ready.

  41. Hi
    Thanks for all your reply, but I still want to ask you and make sure it.
    I am a Chinese and study in Italy, I am still waiting for the PDS card now, also I have already done the fingerprint 2 month ago.
    Can I travel to France by train with the receipt and old PDS card and valid passport(expired visa)?
    Thank you

  42. HI Elexa,
    my Italian visa expired in my old passpoert and I have a new one but I don’t have the old passport. my permesso soggiorno expired last month and I have a new passport and expired permesso soggiorno and the ricivuta from post office that I got last week. I’m in Milan and want to go during the weekend to lugano switzerland with friends to the casino.

    would I have a problem from the Italian or the Swiss border control if they know about my expired permesso soggiorno?

  43. Does the Italian slip have expiring date,because I posted my permesso on June 12th and did finger print on the 9th of September, waiting for it to come out,but last time I went to my country while coming back the immigration there told me that I have to stamp on the receipt again from the questura that the receipt expires after six month.How true is it? Because I want to travel again to my country.

  44. My soggorno expired on Oct 2019,I have fingerprint date for Feb 2020. Local questura is not providing with provissorio.I have to travel for interview in schengan area.what to do?

  45. My soggorno expired on Oct 2019,I have fingerprint date for Feb 2020. Local questura is not providing with provissorio.I have to travel for interview in schengan area.what to do?

  46. Hi Alexa.
    Great description about this process.
    I tried to find my case on comments, but I did not succeed :/ .
    I’m a PhD student at italy, and I have a valid student visa with multiple entries. My point is that I want to go home on Christmas in Brasil, and my permesso appointment is on February. Do you know if is there a problem by returning to Italy? Also, the flight that I’m looking has an scale in Portugal, on both ways going and returning to Europe.

    Thanks ?

  47. Hi I just want to ask.. If I am allowed to travel in United Arab Emirates with my permesso di soggiorno and valid passport I want to know there is no questions at the immigration in UAE once I will come back to Italy using only my permesso di soggiorno and passport…thanks you..

    • Hi Chariz – your ability to travel to the UAE is related to the country you hold a passport for. If you are able to travel there legally, then you should be able to travel back to Italy with your passport and permesso di soggiorno just fine. I would contact the consulate to clarify what the rules are for traveling to and from the UAE as I don’t know what they are. Sorry I can’t be of more help!

  48. Hi Alexa,

    Very informative post, thanks for the info! I am an American PhD student currently staying in Venice while I conduct research for my dissertation. I am going home to the U.S. in two weeks for the holidays and plan to return in January. Upon leaving Italy on December 16th, I will have been in Italy for 92 days, so two days more than the 90-day tourist limit.

    However, I do have a valid student visa (with multiple entires) from an Italian Consulate in the U.S. that does not expire until June 2020, and I have my receipt from the post office when I applied for the permesso di soggiorno back in September. I have had one permesso di soggiorno before–it was over five years ago when I studied abroad as an undergraduate. It has been expired for basically five years and I no longer have a copy of it. I finished my current permesso application (which I filed as a “new” permesso rather than a “renewal” since I don’t have the old one) on December 2nd, and I know it won’t be ready before I leave for the holidays.

    I think I’ve read some of your comments here saying that valid Italian visa holders shouldn’t face any issues getting back into Italy from the U.S. I will obviously have my passport with visa and post office receipt with me when I travel, but I will not have an expired permesso card. I plan to fly back from the U.S. to Lisbon (without exiting the airport) and then to Venice. Do you think I’ll encounter problems at passport check in Lisbon, or do you think my visa will take care of it? Hoping you see this quickly so I can know whether or not to apply for the permesso di soggiorno provvisorio.

    Thanks so much again!

    • Hi Jake! With a valid multiple-entry visa, I don’t think you should have any problems flying through another Schengen country. I think, at customs, they would just check your passport and not even inquire about the permesso. The problems seem to arise when you’re flying into another country, your visa is expired, and you have this country-specific permit in Italian that wouldn’t make sense to the Portugese customs agents. At least, that’s how I understand it. If you’re still unsure, I would try contacting the US consulate to double check, as I’m not sure the Questura would get back to you in a timely manner.

  49. Hi I am Indian student staying in Italy from3 year’s . I booked tickets to Budapest for a trip of 4 days but my permesso di sugerno has recently expired and I have applied for renewal got the receipt from post office … can I travel to Budapest with the receipt

  50. Hello Alexa, I have been reading all your blog comments for my help and it has been really helpful in guiding ways, but now decided to ask you about it as it is Urgent and I have to leave Italy in a day. My query was that I am a student in Italy, I have a multiple-entry visa but on my passport it isn’t mentioned Stati Schengen, like it is mentioned in tourism visas. My passport and nationality is Indian. I entered Italy on 10th December 2019 and have my flights booked for the Christmas eve this year. I have done the procedure with the post office and have received the receipt of permesso, but my appointment isn’t until 8th of January with the police to take the finger prints etc. So, I was just panicking and wanted to know if I can travel with the receipt to France and would there be any further problems at the immigration on not.
    Thank you so much for your time.

  51. Hello Alexa, I don’t think that my earlier comment got posted, so I’m writing again. Your blog has been really helpful in guiding a lot of steps since I entered Italy which is the 10th of December 2019, I have a Italia Student visa, long-term (MULTI), it doesn’t state STATI SCHENGEN on the visa as any other tourist visa for Schengen countries, It states ITALIA, so I am not sure if I can travel with that to France along with the receipt from the post office for the permesso. I have everything booked and I have a flight day after tomorrow, I am panicking a lot as the police here says I can’t just go out with the receipt, but there are separate discussions on it. I have my appointment for the finger prints and rest on 8th of January 2020 in Italia, I wanted to go for a week in France and this is my first time applying for the permit. My nationality and passport is Indian. Waiting for your response.
    Thank you so much for your time.

  52. Ciao Alexa! Thank you sooo much for this article, however could you please provide some insight on my current situation?
    I am from Australia and planning on in June to arrive in Italy on a working holiday visa, where I will apply for the first time, a permesso Di soggiorno. My question is, will I be able to then travel to Greece, and from there immediately to Turkey, Israel and India (not in the Schengen zone) and then re-enter Italy, all with a receipt of the permesso?
    (I don’t expect you to know my visa requirements for these non-Schengen countries that I Intend to visit, but it’s the re-entering to Italy part that I’m worried about).
    Grazie mille!!

    • Thank you for your reply!
      Do you know why I am not able to pass through another Schengen country after visiting a non-Schengen country, before arriving in Italy?
      It doesn’t make sense to me considering that I have the ability to travel to other Schengen States with my visa, but I cannot pass through them when traveling to and from non-Schengen States? Is the reason to do with passport Stamps and such, for clarification as to where and how long I’ve spent in the Schengen zone?

Leave a Reply

How to Get Italian Health Insurance