Your certification for teaching English is arguably the most important part of the whole process. There are probably at least 50 places, online and in person, where you can get certified, but be aware: cheaper does not mean better. With a TEFL certification, you get what you pay for. When you arrive to your classroom in a foreign country on your first day as a teacher, you will be grateful you invested in a top-tier program. Speaking a language fluently does not mean you have the skills to teach the language. Luckily, there are many great certification companies out there that take pride in their students’ abilities and success. In this article, I will provide my recommendation for where to get your TEFL certification based on my experience.
While TEFL is a very common and widely accepted English teacher certification, there are others out there. If you want to know more about the difference between TEFL, TESOL, TESL, and CELTA, read my article about it here.
I completed my TEFL certification at the International TEFL Academy in Chicago, Illinois. I highly recommend this company for a multitude of reasons:
- The tuition is affordable – about $2,000 for a one month-long course depending on the location
- They have locations all around the world – Hawaii, Thailand, Italy, Spain, France, Russia, Costa Rica, and many more!
- The instruction is exceptional – the teachers are highly qualified and experienced in teaching English around the globe
- You get lifetime job search guidance
- There is a well-organized and active alumni network
- They provide you with detailed manuals and guides for finding work in virtually every country
- There is a great online program for people who cannot travel onsite for certification
They do frequent online info sessions so you can really get a sense of what the certification process is like and ask them any questions you might have. The advisors were immensely helpful to me when I initially expressed interest in getting my TEFL certification. They even helped me find housing since I was traveling across the country.